The Catholic Pastoral Team
Priests of the Sacred Heart
Fr. Mark Mastin, SCJ
Pastor for West River Parishes
Fr. Christianus Hendrik, SCJ
Pastor for East River Parishes
Sr. Charles Palm, OSB
Pastoral Minister Members
Dn. Steve McLaughlin, Sr.
East River Bishop: Most Rev. Donald DeGrood
West River Bishop: Vacant Office
The Priests of the Sacred (S.C.J.), also known as Dehonians after the last name of our founder Leo John Dehon, serve in 41 countries throughout the world. We began to serve the Native Americans in the Lower Brule area in 1923, and soon afterwards began to minister those on the Cheyenne Indian Reservation. Years later, the Priests of the Sacred Heart began to also serve the Farmers and Ranchers in the region. Today, we serve six parishes in the East and West river regions. They are:
St. Mary’s in Lower Brule, St. Mary’s in Reliance, St. Michael’s in Kennebec, St. Joseph’s in
Fort Thompson, Immaculate Conception in Stephan and St. Catherine’s in Big Bend.
Our other missions include St. Joseph’s Native American school founded in 1927 and the Sacred Heart
Center on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation. The school is dedicated to improving the quality of life for Lakota and Dakota (Sioux) children and families. The Sacred Heart Center covers over 4,707 square miles and operates four primary programs; Family Violence Services, Child Services, Community Outreach and Bear Necessities Thrift Store.
Our ministries are also supported by the Benedictine Sisters of Watertown, SD. The sisters first came to the United States in 1864 in Missouri and then settled in the Dakota Territory in 1874 in Zell, SD. In 1889, they built their Sacred Heart Monastery in Yankton SD and then broke grown for their Mother of God Community in 1967 in Watertown, SD. The Benedictine sisters established schools, Hospitals and other services around the Dakotas, Nebraska and Colorado.